J Korean Soc Neonatol. Search

CLOSE


Journal of the Korean Society of Neonatology 2006;13(2):209-215.
Published online November 1, 2006.
Clinical Usefulness of Esophagopraphy in Term Infant with Oxygen Desaturation during and after Feeding.
Hyo Jung Yu, Ky Young Cho, Ji Young Kim, Eun Ae Park
Department of Pediatrics, Ewha Womans University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea. pea8639@ewha.ac.kr
수유 시 심한 산소 포화도 저하를 보이는 만삭아에서 위식도 촬영의 유용성이화여자대학교
, , ,
Abstract
PURPOSE
Transient desaturation in fullterms related to feeding may be ignored. But those who are presenting significant cyanosis during feeding without any underlying disease, esophagogastric or laryngopharyngeal reflux must be regarded. The goal of this study was to investigate the incidence of reflux diseases in those newborns using esophagography.
METHODS
157 newborn infants showing cyanosis during feeding were collected among 705 neonates born after 37 weeks of festation from July 2003 to June 2005. Excluding infants with other underlying diseases, 40 newborns were studied for reflux diseases by esophagography.
RESULTS
117 (74.5%) infants had underlying diseases among 157 presenting cyanosis. The other 40 (25.5%) cases had decrease in oxygen saturation during and after feeding, which were spontaneously restored after ceasation of feeding. The mean gestational age and weight of the 40 newborns (composed of 21 boys and 19 girls) were 38.9+/-1.42 wks and 3.3+/-0.59 kg. Imaging study was done at 9.5th day of life in average. The level of desaturation was 79.4+/-9.1%. From 31 (77.5%) patient who showed reflux in esophagograhy, 21 patients had laryngopharyngeal reflux, 16 cases showed major degree GERD, 8 of which had GERD minor degree. Omeprazole was prescribed to the patients with major degree of GERD and the others were educated only (feeding position & feeding skills) which lead to improvement of symptom.
CONCLUSION
We concluded that the esophagography is a valuable tool in evaluation of full tern infants with desaturation during feeding.
Key Words: Cyanosis; Feeding; Neonate; Gastroesophageal reflux
TOOLS
Share :
Facebook Twitter Linked In Google+ Line it
METRICS Graph View
  • 6,412 View
  • 12 Download


ABOUT
ARTICLE CATEGORY

Browse all articles >

BROWSE ARTICLES
AUTHOR INFORMATION
Editorial Office
34, Sajik-ro 8–gil(King’s Gargen 3 Block 1207), Jongno-gu, Seoul 03174, Republic of Korea
Tel: +82-2-730-1993    Fax: +82-2-730-1994    E-mail: neonate2002@naver.com                

Copyright © 2024 by The Korean Society of Neonatology.

Developed in M2PI

Close layer
prev next